Monday, June 25, 2012

St. Louis Return!

Last year we went with the REYG to St. Louis to serve the Inner City.  It was an amazing experience for us, so much so, we returned again this year.  I was dying to see the kids we had taught last year again.  I wasn't sure if they would remember me, as they have so many teacher switch out from year to year, but suprisingly they did.  And the girls who were so hard last year, that I absolutely thought I had not gotten through at all (Loving Livi and Destiny), remembered Jake and I first.  Destiny is a real toughy, but she has a layer to her that is so sweet.  These girls just desperately want to be loved.  It reminds me of how important it is to let everyone know around us - even those we do not know - that they are important.  These kids did not give Jake and I near the trouble they did last year.  I don't know if it is b/c we knew what to expect coming in, the new format they set up separating the girls from the boys, or we passed the test.  My guess is all of the above.  These kids are so special.  I wish I could see them everyday.  I guess I do in everyone around me. 
There is also Leon.  Leon is a toughy also.  Last year he did not give us much of a chance until the final day when I gave him a project he really liked.  He was pretty similar this year except he was around more.  He would try to act like he did not care much, but then he would do things that showed me he really did. He came with our Youth Group one night to our common room for singing.  He did not want to say anything to Jake or I.  But the next day he was singing one of our songs he heard and told one of our Youths how fly we sounded up there.  He wished they could sound like that.  My heart melted. 
The challenge this year was I got sick!  I had to miss the Arch - thankfully I went last year.  Jake could take the kids while I stayed back to sleep.  Let me just say - I was really nervous when it got dark.  This is not a good part of town.  Yes, I am in the Catholic Compound and no one knew I was there, and I was not about to turn on a light to reveal that either.  At one point there were 6 guys trying to climb the fence--- to play basketball, but it was so unsettling nonetheless.  Thankfully, Brother Robert Lawrence's (the pastor) nephew was there to tell them to leave.  It makes me think of how many have to live in fear like that everyday.  It was not a good feeling - even though no one knew I was there.  Plus I was sick, which added to the whole emotional drama. 
This church has maybe 30 members in this huge facility that they can only use a part of b/c there are just not enough people.  They meet in the basement of the church.  The Nunnery, which we worked on last year, is now being rented out to Veterans in transition.  Home Depot came in and donated a bunch of appliances and upgrades as part of their rebuild St. Louis program.  This will help give the church some income they desperately need.  There is a Communal house of members that run the summer program, and they say they are always one paycheck away from closing the doors - but the kids keep coming and they keep finding a way to keep going.  Very inspirational.  The kids in the neighborhood are so blessed to have a church that cares so much.  Unfortunately, home lives are tough -and it is hard to overcome that.  But God is bigger than all of our struggles.  Perseverence. 
This year was a real treat b/c our dear friends Dustin and Christina Powell joined us on the Mission Trip.  There were so many projects last year that I thought Dustin would be a huge benefit for handyman work.  There were not many projects this year, but the project they did have it was great to have Dustin and Jay Steinmetz there.  The resident handymen of our group.  Christina took our beautiful pictures.  She actually took all of ours.  I thought why carry a camera when Christina has her amazing camera she has to use, and we are hanging out.  :)  She was such a sweetheart to take our pictures.  I tried to return the favor by being extra helpful with kids.  That went down the drain when I got sick.  :)  Although I got better in time to become buddy buddy with Brennan.  This was not his favorite trip, but when we started singing in the church -the upper part not used- he came over to me gave me a hug and started dancing to our singing.  It was the cutest thing I had ever seen. 
We enjoyed the City Museum on Sunday after church, The Arch on Monday, VBS (Tue-Thur), and Meramac Springs on Saturday.  It was a fabulous trip b/c I did get better to enjoy most of it. 
The crew.  Obviously, I am not pictured - sick!  But look at all of these cuties that enjoyed The Arch.
 The City Museum
Oh yes!  Today is Father's Day as well.  Happy Father's Day sweet daddy!

Now does this look like a daddy having fun on his day!  OH YES!  And we got him that Happy Cloud shirt for Father's day.  It is almost a replica of his favorite shirt he always wears on our American Idol game.  :)


This is a 2 story slide!  Way cool!



This is a very sweet lady. When I talked to Blake about that Patients was a fruit of the spirit, her ears perked up and she asked him if he knew the 9th commandment.  We had a nice chat.  I love her sweet calm spirit.  I think she might be an Angel. 

Blake was so funny.  He said he was going to do Spiderman, but when his turn finally came he wanted a strawberry.  We asked him several times and he was adamant about the strawberry.  The lady said he must be hungry. 

Kera, Jeff, their kids, and 4 other teens were at the Cardinals game


Time with Friends

Blake and his best buddy, Ashton



Loving Livi!  I love this girl! This pic is out of order and I am tired of trying to fix it! Argh!

This is Kimberlyn's best friend and Mentor Allison Gilbreath. She has been taking Kimberlyn out to yogurt to help mentor this sweet girl.  And it is working!  Kimberlyn was willing to get her ears pierced b/c Alli said she got hers when she was five.  Before this conversation, Kimberlyn was adamant about getting them done when she is a teenager.

Class Time 

First of all, let me say, Jake was a life saver.  I was pretty weak all week from being sick but I could be there.  Jake did all of the teaching (most - you will see me teaching in a picture, I did the final day).  I am so glad Jake has a teaching background, a heart for kids, and enough knowledge about math and finance to teach the class.  God provides.  Kimberlyn was very disappointed to miss our church's VBS, but she got as Justin Mathews says "street VBS".  And she loved it very much!  Ashton, Blake, Hannah and Kimberlyn were all together. So great to have a support group as this was very different from what they were used to (behavior wise that is-kids were dancing quite interesting tou our VBS songs and they were less than 7!),  Kids are so loving and accepting.  Kind of reminds me of the bible verse about approaching Jesus as the children.  This was a great example.  The Youth were amazing with this group as well. 





 I love this picture.  Tyrell was really listening and he is the one who stomped his foot at me last year.  The boys really listened.  The girls not so much.  When I got to this point, they said ok ok hurry up! LOL!  GIRLS!  I will pray for all of them everyday.  I really love all of them.


Last Day Meramac Spring Fish Hatchery.  We went canoeing earlier today - this is the beginning of river.  Freezing water!

No comments: