Jake presenting Edd his St. Louis T-shirt. Oh yes, the joke was made! Jake said it was so unexpected and he was so flattered. Ha Ha
Edd Eason spoke on Sunday morning about CitySquare. Obviously, North City would love to have the same impact CitySquare is having in Downtown Dallas. I was very moved by how Edd described justice. He quoted Larry James saying, "We are all rich and poor, just in different ways. Where your richness helps my poorness and my richness helps your poorness, then we have justice." I cannot wait for the day we have JUSTICE. It is great to help someone in need, but that cannot be the extent of it; justice is fulfilling needs of both parties. There really was so much more to what Edd said than what I mentioned here. This definition is so beautiful to me. On Wednesday I had to do laundry, so I went into town by myself to the nearest laundromat I could find. It was not in a good part of town, and honestly, I was a bit nervous. But once I went in-- it was such a blessing. I met a sweet lady who lived in the neighborhood. We talked about her life and she asked me about my Childrens Ministry shirt and what we were doing in St. Louis. She was very interested in the VBS once I mentioned we feed the children dinner. I really hope she brought grandchildren the following week. I never talk just talk to people, but once I saw her it came so naturally and she wanted to talk.
I also had to go and get food while I was there. I have heard that these areas do not have good options for food, and that is absolutely true. I finally found a place that looked like KFC and went to eat there (it was disgusting). All doors are locked except one, and there is a bullet proof glass between me and the person taking my order. I got to thinking how this situation is so sad. They live in fear, and need the love of Christ to enter this rough neighborhood. I met the sweetest people that day, but they were adamant - DON'T GO OUT AT NIGHT! This is not what justice looks like.
No comments:
Post a Comment