Everything about this trip was so fun and I loved every minute. Ok, so I cried after Day 1 of the VBS- but it got way better and became one of the most rewarding experiences of my life to date. I actually was not ready to leave the kids I just met. Here is my list in no particular order (this is kind of lengthy...I have so much to say, I wrote all of this b/c I want to always remember)
1)I loved the drive to St. Louis - we got a walkie talkie and got to check in with everyone and listen to all of their jokes and banter. We stopped every 2 hours for bathroom/gas or eating break, so breaking it up like that actually made the trip feel quicker. Plus we were with great company.
2)I loved getting to know the people who lived in the communal house in St. Louis that put on the VBS week after week for the North City Church. I
3)I loved my Money Management team of Allison Gilbreath, Adyson Dinatale, and Will Burson. These kids were rocks. They took a beating and did not even cry like their fearless 33 year old leader on Day 1. Ha Ha. Instead of making fun of me, they embraced me. They had a true heart of a servant b/c their job was not easy either. Adyson even presented the T-shirt to me b/c we were such a great team. My cup runneth over for my team
4) VBS!!! - Tay, Tromane, Amier, Damarion, DaMarco, Loving Livi (who was a major handful, but she did show me her loving side every now and then), Terell (who was totally rude to me the first day and he even make a rude gesture at me when he left, but the next day gave me a high five and told me about the bucks he had earned), Kameron, John, Davon, Ariel, Diamond...these are just to name a few of the precious kids that touched my life, and I will neve be the same b/c of them.
5) The Arch - Blake was hilarious. He kind of fell in love with Amy Kay this night. And was just so dramatic and funny about the whole thing. He and Kimberlyn both loved the pods we got to ride up in to the top. I was so nervous about going to the top and feeling it sway. But it really was no big deal. Once we got off the pod on the way out Blake kept yelling, "That was fun. That was fun!" Jake overheard someone say, "Did someone pay this kid." It really was a neat experience, and tons of fun to spend it with so many of our new friends.
6) Canoeing
7) Robert and Nancy Lawrence who lead the North City Church of Christ. I loved how he talked about the bible never called us bad, it said we were in chaos. What peace that message brought me that particular morning.
8) Edd Eason's message about justice- talk more about that later
9) The Youth Group and sponsors that loved my kids and took such good care of them along with us. It felt like true community.
10) That the temp got down to the 70s and 80s while we were there! The Cardinals game could not have been a more beautiful night. And it was barely 70 when we first started canoeing - no complaints here!
11) My trip to the Laundry Mat - more on that later as well
Ok - I could go on and on and on all night. These are just a few of the things that come to mind.
1 comment:
I love that you have written some posts about your trip and experiences. It will be great for you and the kids to look back on your thoughts! (I enjoyed reading it too!)
Post a Comment