Since Kimberlyn has started playing for the Mutiny FC Club I have been a bit more nervous. Don't get me wrong, we love it! And she does too - most importantly. The only reason we do this is b/c she truly loves it. She never complains about one practice, nor is complaining that she is still playing in the summer time. Actually when we told her Mutiny really has no end - her response was, "YES!" So I don't feel like Jake and I are pushing her too hard.
I have been a bit more nervous b/c she is now no longer the star on the team, and parents are really noticing the kids performance. Actually she has quite a bit of a learning curve to catch up, but the coach really likes her. He even went on to say she is one of the most teachable kids on the team. I love that she is teachable. That is what we want from her - to learn from those who have been there and know what they are talking about. And in turn, it is great to see someone sharing their knowledge and appreciating her excitement to learn from them. The parents are great. They are not the nightmare soccer parents you always here about. Quite the opposite. It is a great family. Competitive, yes, but above all they are very supportive of all the kids.
So this Saturday we were without a goalie for our game. Both of our goalies are on vacation. I was a nervous wreck when I saw K walking on the field in a goalie jersey! Jake was a bit nervous himself, but as a coach, he does great to trust a coach's decision. I was trying to get Jake to make it stop. What a horrible mother! We had no faith in her as a goalie. Not to mention we are playing a really tough team.
So the game begins, and K is doing great. Other than her punt b/c she has never punted before and it showed! But when she grabbed the ball the second time, she looked at me through the window and I was able to motion to throw the ball and she did. She is a smart player - she knows where to throw the ball - it just doesn't go as far as punting - if you punt correctly. But K saved a lot of balls. She even took a full body shot from the ball and acted like it didn't even hurt. I heard one of the parents from the other team talk about how tough she was. And their daughter was an incredible player, so it was a very high compliment.
Kimberlyn was scored on 5 times, but this team was excellent. 4 of the shots she really could not do anything about. Our defense was having a hard time with this team. My eyes teared up after the game to see the parents tell Kimber what a great job she did. She knows she needs work on punting and has bugged Jake all day to work with her b/c she now wants to be a goalie. She loved it!
What I am most proud of is the fact that the team had a need and she proudly took the call. And she did not once worry about what others would think. She was excited to do something new and threw caution to the wind.
Today Jeff Hubbard preached on Reckless Faith. To not play it safe - Jesus did not play it safe. Kimberlyn did not play it safe Saturday - and she forced me out of my comfort zone. Obviously this is a sport, but this sport is helping us spiritually as well. It will makes us braver in everything we do. I am so proud of Kimberlyn. She is so brave and doesn't worry about what others think. I want to be more like her. Another example of Jesus's message about the Kingdom and becoming like children. They are teachable and they are brave.
P.S. Last week we went on vacation and were going to skip her 7 AM game. Kimber would not hear of it. She said, "I want to go to my game." The blessing of a 7 AM game - we could make it work. :)
Kimber is learning all we have ever wanted from her in soccer - dedication, to learn, to be brave, to feel the team spirit, to learn to lose, to rejoice in others victories as well as our own, and I guess I never really realized it but to not be afraid to learn something new. If soccer does not pan out in the future - that is fine. We are so excited at what she is learning right now. And also what she is making us learn as well.
Lets be Reckless! Obviously - reckless with a purpose! :)
1 comment:
You have every reason to be proud of Kimberlyn. She is a sweet, thoughtful, and yes...teachable little girl. What an awesome young lady she is! I look forward to seeing her continue to grow!
Post a Comment