Tuesday, July 19, 2011

VBS

Now for the main reason we went to St. Louis, VBS.  I came into this knowing it was going to be difficult for me.  I was teaching Money Management, I was teaching 9-13 (not my comfort zone at all), I was not sure how many or what their background with money, and Jake would not be helping me b/c he is teaching sports.  At the same time, I was really excited for a challenge.  I have really needed a spiritual challenge, and this would give me some experience under my belt in teaching and developing relationships.  The first day was very very rough.  First off, no one could hear me over the really loud air conditioning unit in the room. The CD player could not play "If I had a Million Dollars" loud enough for anyone to hear, and no one knew the song anyways (nor did they care).  They were very much a handful, attitudes like you would not believe.  They were rude and disrespectful.  But my first group with the 9-11 year olds my help was great.  Their leader was quick to take them outside if they gave me any problems; plus he would make sure they could hear me by saying, "Do you understand what Lindsay is saying?  It is very important." he would then ask them further questions to ensure their understanding.  Alex was a real blessing.
There are no words to describe the difficulty of the next group.  I realized on Day 2 the help was sort of the problem, b/c he was trying to be their friend vs disciplining.  I don't know that he realized part of loving is disciplining - but God bless him b/c he is there day after day trying to reach these kids.  I have learned it is not about getting it right, it is about getting our there and doing it and letting God make it right.  By the end of the day, I was in tears and I could not stop.  My group embraced me and just let me cry.  At the end of the day I got hope though - Jake would be helping me on Day 2 and 3!  Woo Hoo!
With Jake things went so much better.  First off he was able to get the class started off on the right foot with a bible verse and explanation they could hear.  Plus he made it clear we were not going to put up with anything, and the kids really responded.  Jake asked them lots of questions about themselves and were were really able to make huge strides with the lesson from there.  It was so great how Jake and I could really bounce off of each other, and I really had the kids respect.  Some of the biggest handfuls I had on day 1 were embracing me.  They would actually do the lesson, but then act like they don't care about what they just did.  So I told them I was going to keep it and hang it up at home to help me remember what is important and to remember them.  I could tell that really meant something to them b/c they would take the project and sign it and give it back to me.  One girl who was such a mess and very difficutl to handle ended up signing hers as Loving Livie; she even asked me if I liked it.  Today I wanted to cry b/c I experienced how a little love went a long way. Jake was a huge hit with the boys b/c he could talk football with them as well.
On Day 3, Jake and I had the most amazing spiritual conversation with Amier, John and Kameron.  Kameron actually could not talk b/c he had special needs, but his smile was from Heaven.  Amier had all kinds of questions for us about God and why he should believe.  He embraced everything we we had to say.  I basically told him that if he did not see Jesus then we were not doing our jobs.  Jesus is in all of us.  We are his arms and legs to be reaching out in love.  The things we spend money on on earth can easily be destroyed or stolen, but we invest in things eternal (feeding the hungry, loving the unlovable, etc) no one can destroy or steal those moments.  Amier, John and Kameron changed Jake and I's life. 
I loved loved loved VBS, and I really love these kids.  My prayers are with them everyday. 

VBS always started with games.  Little ones played on the playground while the bigger kids were on the basketball courts.  Lots and lots of duck duck goose and Ring Around the Rosie.  Jake tried to join the jump roping game, but was quickly out.  :)  If you can't tell that is Blake doing the duck duck goose and he selected Will Burson to try and get him.

Our class

Sweet Sweet Tromane, Wendall used my camera to take a picture ( you can see Alex at the front telling him to put the camera down), Singing and praising God before our classes

Friends Blake and Kimberlyn Made (Eugene, Ariel, Courtney and Diamond)


No comments: